Thursday, February 12, 2015

Morning Quickies - IFC

I am talking about breakfasts. If after work drinks are called happy hours, should morning pre-work breakfasts be called sad hours? Skip the next paragraph to get to the actual food part.

Though I am not a morning person, I have a special fascination with breakfasts. I guess it's a treat to myself for yet waking up on time and making it to work for another day, or a celebration on a day off that I woke up early and have earned myself some extra hours to do something random for the day. I have to admit that I am getting old, and that I no longer sleep in till 2 or 3pm on days off. 12pm has been the latest, and that it really quite early for me because seriously, 2/3pm was the norm for me. Biologically I probably don't need to sleep that much anymore, and mentally as I am getting older, there is more I want to get to during the day instead of sleeping through it (e.g. cooking, eating, cleaning, boxing, errands etc etc).

Anyway, on my well behaved days my breakfast consists of a boiled egg brought from home (made the night before) and a herbalife milkshake. On my non-behaving days or colder days, I like to go with one of the below.

Listed in order of how often I visit them, with the first being the most frequent.

Maxim ($23.5): Maxim fast food has replaced Café de Coral's place in my heart, because their staff is much nicer and their food is quite good. I usually like to get the A2 meal, which has a macaroni in soup, ham and egg, toast or turnip cake (in HK, apparently these things are interchangeable), and a drink. I really like this on cold mornings, and it reminds me of the good old days when mom made me breakfast every morning. Other times, I get the set with 2 eggs with ham/BACON/wieners with toast and a drink. Good for days when I don't want to behave but still kinda want to be good. Their coffee is also very good for some reason.... like unusually good. Not a big fan of their congee and noodles as it's tasteless compared to de Coral.

Location: Hong Kong Station, near the exit for IFC 2

McDonalds (<$30): Need I say more? always a good morning breakfast for days when you feel like crap. I alternate between the sausage and egg mcmuffin meal and the pork bone soup pasta meal.

Location: P2 level if you are taking the elevators from the Airport Express area, closer to IFC 1 area.

Hung Fook Tong  ($10): good for super quickies since everything is pre-made here. Their $10 menu includes: faux siu mai (fish meat siu mai), beef siu mai (new item!), chao zhou dumplings, and meat and veggie buns. They also have fried noodles which I've never tried and not sure how much they cost. Maybe I can try it next time.

Location: Hong Kong Station, near the exit for IFC 2 (near the Maxim fast food)

Arome Bakery (<$20): another good place for super quickies as they have a variety of the typical HK bakery items as well as pre-made Hong Kong style sandwiches. I've tried their ham and egg sandwich which was only $14 (much cheaper than Maxim bakery which charges $17 or 18 on Theatre Lane). You can make it a set and get a coffee with it as well which I have yet to try since coffee is free in the office.

Location: Hong Kong Station, near the exit for IFC 2 (next to the Hung Fook Tong)

Starbucks (<$20): I really like their toasted bagel with cream cheese which has gone from $13 six years ago to around $17 or $18 today. I only go for this on very very rare mornings since I try to avoid an overdose of carbs in the morning making me sleepy for the rest of the day.

Location: they are everywhere.... Airport Express check-in, One Exchange Square, and I think second floor of IFC near the Senryo and new juice place.

I'll get to the Landmark area next. I find that area much more interesting for breakfasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment