Friday, February 6, 2015

TamJai Sam Gor 譚仔三哥

This used to be one of my go to solo eating spots when I used to live in Prince Edward with my sister. I love their ma-la spicy soup base (medium spice) with the minced pork sauce (ja jeung). Like Nam Kee, you can choose to add other items in your noodles, but I tend not to because just one item, the minced pork is usually enough for me since they are really generous with the portion of noodles. When they say spicy, they really mean spicy, so maybe start with the "small" spicy level on your first try and go from there.

The reason why I kinda stopped going was because I moved to the Hong Kong side, and 5.5 years ago they haven't moved their business to Hong Kong Island. A couple of years ago they finally joined the "bright" side, but they were mainly just in Causeway Bay so I still didn't frequent it much since I find this more of a lunch spot and... well I do not work in CWB so it didn't make sense for me to go all the way to CWB for lunch. Recently I've also been trying to eat healthier, so a big bowl of carbs doesn't feel like the most health conscious choice for me (even with a side of veggies).

I went there on Friday night because I was too lazy to cook and well, I kinda missed the mince pork sauce. It's something I can't really get anywhere else because it's kinda sweet, kinda spicy... kinda awesome.

Other than noodles, they also have some pretty good side dishes like the cucumber (in picture below). Although it's covered in chilli oil it really isn't that spicy and actually quite refreshing. I find it also helps cool me down when I'm sweating from the spice. Another side dish that I really like but don't order unless I'm with a friend is the chicken wings. They have several different types but the one I like the most is the cumin one 土匪雞翼.

I would say compared to Nam Kee this place is even more local, but if you are adventurous enough you might be pleasantly surprised by this awesome chain.

Location: mainly in the Causeway Bay area on Cannon Street across from Tsui Wah and by the Wanchai Firestation on Hennessy Road. 
Website: http://www.tjsamgor.com/ (like Nam Kee, also doesn't have an English website...)

No comments:

Post a Comment